Home Forums General Discussion New ACC Levies

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author

Thanks Gary. I'm in on this it sounds like you have a submission ready to go with the correct wording. I am getting a concerned with the way Nick Smith (National) is heading on this and totally agree with Mr Woodhouse.I don't agree with the additions Labour added into ACC over the last few years. It should have been left alone as is. I would be happy to put my name to a copy of your submission.thecades@hotmail.com

2bjr
    Participant

This is what I got back……..Michael Woodhouse to me show details Nov 17 (1 day ago) Dear Tharon Thank you for your email regarding the proposed increases in ACC motorcycle levies for 2010/11.  I’m responding to you directly as the Government’s representative in Dunedin. As you are probably aware, the final decision is made by Cabinet on the basis of ACC’s recommendations following the submissions process and you can be confident that the Corporation and Government have been made very aware of the views of motorcyclists on this issue. The levies ACC are recommending Government agree to, and which are the subject of the present consultation process, are extremely high and are unlikely to be agreed to.  Nevertheless, the incidents, severity and cost of motorcycle crash injuries are not reflected in current levies.  The cost of injuries in motorcycle crashes is about four times higher than injuries in other motor vehicle crashes.  It will be necessary to increase levies to more fairly reflect the true cost of treatment, rehabilitation and compensation of those injured in motorcycle accidents, but you can be confident that the voice of the motorcyclists has been well and truly heard. Thank you again for taking the time to write. Kind regards Michael Woodhouse MPDunedin +64 3 477 7330 l Wellington +64 4 817 8224

Arne Rohde
    Participant

The big mistake that Labour made during its term was to push for the full funding of potential liabilities by 2014. While National is proposing to push out the date for fully funding the residual claims liability to 2019, full funding ahead traps the scheme and the Government in a private insurance accounting model.

I think you'll find that full funding by 2014 was begun in 1999, at the same time as 'competition' was introduced, by the previous National government. Although it really makes no difference, since both major parties agree that it should be fully funded.Thanks for the information about submissions concerning the bill.

Anonymous

The letter from Mr woodhouse is a key demonstration of the problem Bad decisions from poorly informed people and perpetuated my a total lack of diligence in establishing the credibility of advice / comments- eventually resulting in a ground swell type perception of no merit what so ever. Land transport statistics clearly show that what he is saying is not the case - cost of M-Cycle  rehab compared to M Car rehab is actually marginally lower.What the statistic also show is the primary cause of accidents is bad driving skills.  NZ motorcyclists like their car driving counterparts believe the basic road rules only apply to others. Loosing control, driving on the wrong side of the road, failing to apply basic skills  contribute to more than 70% of car and motorcycle accidents.  More than  30% on the wrong side of the road  passing , cutting corners etc and another 15% with absolutely no reason ( not passing  & on a straight road !! )  thats is the same percentages for bikes or cars!!Rather than telling us we are bloody idiots, muderers and  intersections are a roulette game -  perhaps they could invest in some educational advertising - reinforcing the basics and informing the public of the 23 recent changes which the majority of the population have no knowledge of.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Yep, good points. The recent clashes between car drivers and cyclists can also be traced back to both sides not knowing how to behave on the road. The road code covers it well enough. Ads however aren't enough. Licences should be harder to get and not without compulsory training. If they are hard to get, people might make more of an effort to try and keep them. The trouble is that we have too many people who couldn't care less about these things and are quite happy to ignore the law. The less you have to loose, the less your worry about these type of infringements. It's obviously easier to collect money of the silent (up to now) majority, instead of making an effort to sort out the bad eggs.

pdmeikle57
    Participant

I think the fundamental problem with these proposals is that ACC, as it stands is meant to be a NO FAULT compensation scheme, not an insurance policy.No fault is meant to be just that. ACC/govenment can't say "no fault... except we will penalise these groups" because straight away it ceases to be no fault.CheersTracy

Anonymous

This one of Labour mad changes to ACC. When is suicide an accident.The partner of the Napier gunman who killed a policeman during a three-day siege received nearly $10,000 in ACC compensation after he committed suicide.Jan Molenaar, 51, killed Senior Constable Len Snee and kept police officers at bay with gunfire after a routine search warrant for cannabis at his Chaucer Rd home went wrong in May.A self-styled "Rambo", Molenaar had collected an illegal cache of 18 military-style firearms and fatally shot Mr Snee, as well as critically injuring officers Grant Diver and Bruce Miller and civilian Lenny Holmwood.The siege ended after Molenaar shot himself.His former partner Delwyn Keefe has since admitted selling cannabis from the house over a five-year period and is due to be sentenced next month.The Weekend Herald can reveal Ms Keefe received ACC compensation for his death. A lump sum of more than $5000 helped pay for his funeral and Ms Keefe also received a "survivor grant" of around $4000. She did not receive weekly compensation for lost earnings.The ACC entitlement for suicide was introduced by the Labour Government in 2008, although the National Government plans to axe the compensation under proposed legislation before Parliament.Ms Keefe told the Weekend Herald she never knew she was entitled to ACC money until the funeral director told her.She thought cutting the suicide compensation was a "silly idea" as it helped pay for Molenaar's funeral, which cost more than $7000.Ms Keefe did not believe the actions of her former partner should have excluded her from the compensation."It's no different to anyone [else] who commits suicide. I'm entitled to it. I shouldn't be persecuted because of what Jan did."She is also fighting to keep the home she shared with Molenaar, which the Solicitor-General is attempting to seize.ACC Minister Nick Smith said compensation paid out after people like Graeme Burton and Jan Molenaar committed serious crimes was wrong

Anonymous

Back to the thread -= The levies as they could  apply to us – Attached is an edited copy of my submission please feel free to edit / plagiarise and take what ever you feel helpful to  get a submission in.  P.S. the web site is www. parliament.govt.nz and it is reasonably easy to upload a sumbission

Murray
    Participant

This is the sort of submission that should have gone to ACC when they called for submissions on the proposal to increase levies. It's the ACC Board that makes recommendations to the Minister for ACC based on the original review and the feedback received. The Minister then seeks advice from advisers (eg the Department of Labour) and recommends final levy rates to the Government. These rates are passed into law by Regulations introduced under the Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation, and Compensation Act 2001. This happens in February or March and the new rates come into effect from 1 April for the Work, Earners’ and Residual Claims Accounts, and 1 July for the Motor Vehicle Account.However, the proposed amendments to the legislation are somewhat more fundamental to how ACC is applied and to whom and any submission also needs to be about that. The changes being proposed in this bill, and the other changes being mooted in the area of accident compensation will inevitably lead to increase costs, reduce entitlements, and move further to an insurance mode and away from the principles of our world-class accident compensation scheme. It is a cost-shifting exercise, and it will be New Zealanders who pay. The costs do not go away; they are merely shifted to the injured person.The big mistake that Labour made was to push for the full funding of potential liabilities by 2014. That was the first step on this slippery road. The Government should instead of promulgating this bill be looking seriously at the possibility of returning completely to a “pay as you go” system. Full funding ahead traps the scheme and the Government in a private insurance accounting model.Don't waste the chance. You have until 5:00 pm tomorrow to make a submission. A copy of mine is attached, feel  free to use but make sure it's got your name and contact details on it.

Murray
    Participant

So, Nick Smith announced today that registration rates for motorcycles would range from $327.70 to $426.92, compared with rates of between $511.43 and $745.77 under rates proposed by ACC. But that is still an increase of between $75 and $174, the latter being for 600cc+ bikes.I'll be interested to hear what he has to say when he's asked the question, albeit a patsy, in the House this afternoon "How much has it been necessary to increase ACC levies and how do these compare to those recommended by the ACC Board?"

Anonymous

I'm happy with the increase. I'll probably spend more than that next year on my trail riding on my 450. It's not even registered. :- I may even look at a 599cc bike for my run around town on in a couple of years. To be honest we should drop back on the bike size just like cars need to be smaller, but not the green rubbish and of course it should never be compulsory to drive a certain sized car or motor bike once you have a full drivers licence.Next undo the extras labour added to the ACC costs over the last few years. If you want these extras then take insurance for them.Finally thanks to all who protested there little hearts out over the last couple of months it did work. 😉 PS I just paid my registration fee's today so this extra cost will not affect me for another year 😀

Jim Young
    Participant

You should only have taken it out until June next year Dean and then got it for a fulll year as I believe the increases dont take effect until July 2010 and then you would have got 18 months at the old rate.

Anonymous

You should only have taken it out until June next year Dean and then got it for a fulll year as I believe the increases dont take effect until July 2010 and then you would have got 18 months at the old rate.

My understanding it comes in 1 April, but I was not to know so paid up.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.