Home Forums General Discussion New ACC Levies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Gulp..!!I have just heard about the new ACC levies that have been introduced by the government..!!!For example: 126-600cc: increases from $252.69 to $511.43 (102 per cent increase).601 plus cc: increases from $252.69 to $745.77.Bloody Hell...!!!!!!  What usuary..!!  I don't think I will be riding bikes much longer.. 

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I don't think I will be riding bikes much longer.

Yep, that's the intention. We have three bikes over 800cc. Why should  I pay more than a 600cc Race-replica? Perhaps they should link it to horsepower instead? Also, why should I pay it twice, when I can only ride one bike at a time? What about riders who don't even ride on the roads, like all those MX guys? I don't mind supporting the scheme, but it should be reasonably fair. By the way, that's only the ACC levy, the other stuff still goes on top. It will end up costing closer to $800. It might be cheaper to get personal insurance and opt out of the scheme altogether. That doesn't appear to be an option.

Tharon KNOETZE
    Participant

That's it! I'm buying a 250cc cause that will be much safer than my LT.  😀

neil.brenda
    Participant

Hmmm Must be time to hang up the leathers…  and sell the bikes…  Maybe a consolation would be to register the rider not the bikes..  Pay one fee for all bikes…  after all you can only ride one at a time..!!Question is I guess is this now in law...  or can we lobby against it...?

Anonymous

Hmmm Must be time to hang up the leathers...  and sell the bikes...   Maybe a consolation would be to register the rider not the bikes..  Pay one fee for all bikes...  after all you can only ride one at a time..!!Question is I guess is this now in law...  or can we lobby against it...?

It would seem from the wording of the news release that there is time to lobby, and we will need to be united, and the line to take, obviously, is that the rider should be levied as a rider, perhaps on the capacity (whether power to weight, rear-wheel power, or cubic capacity, in that order of choice), not levied umpteen times for the number of bikes.On the basis of historic spending, that is still not the full whack we cost them, so they still have room to increase it. So we also need to attack them on the basis of shonky statistics. ACC records as motorcycle accidents the hoon on the beach on a ratbike at Muriwai, no ACC levy, no license, but still billed to our pool. My wife's accident, still on ACC after two years, hit by a car cutting the corner while she was stationary at a Give Way, LTNZ calls, correctly, a car accident, but ACC call it a motorcycle accident. And so on.If we have to accept this hit, then not only will we have to drastically trim our budgets (well, Jean and I will certainly have to), but the resale value of our bikes will drop to diddly.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Bwucie, that bike of yours can't have more than 50cc, so what are you complaining about. I'll have to get a monkey bike for commuting as well. I'd hate to be in the bike business right now, especially if I didn't have any bike under 650cc for sale.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

The fees just announced are ACC's proposals to fix their shortfall. I reckon it's a psychological ploy, start with a mindblowingly high figure, then JK can step in and demand they are reduced, then we meekly accept an increase to 'just' $500, everyone's a winner!  Time for some serious protesting I think.Campaign for more cheesecutter safety barriers maybe, much cheaper to saw us in half than fix us up after surviving a impact with armco.

Anonymous

May be we should be asking Labour where has all the money gone. I mean they where just giving it away at least these guys are puting a cork in the dam. TV3 had said you could ride the bike with no regitration and pay a couple of tickets each year if you are unlucky or you could even have one registration plate for both bikes as long as they both had the same manufaturer.If you don't ride your bike in the winter then only register it for 9 months. That's what I'm going to do with one of the  bikes next year.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The fees just announced are ACC's proposals to fix their shortfall. I reckon it's a psychological ploy, start with a mindblowingly high figure, then JK can step in and demand they are reduced, then we meekly accept an increase to 'just' $500, everyone's a winner!  Time for some serious protesting I think.Campaign for more cheesecutter safety barriers maybe, much cheaper to saw us in half than fix us up after surviving a impact with armco.

It will be something like that. Still, I am upset because the system is unfair, not because I'll have to pay my share. Surely they should be looking at the big picture, including roading and licencing. I want those buses out of my bike lanes!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

TV3 had said you could ride the bike with no regitration and pay a couple of tickets each year if you are unlucky or you could even have one registration plate for both bikes as long as they both had the same manufaturer.

They'll never think of checking that, or putting the fines up accordingly.

Anonymous

TV3 had said you could ride the bike with no regitration and pay a couple of tickets each year if you are unlucky or you could even have one registration plate for both bikes as long as they both had the same manufaturer.

They'll never think of checking that, or putting the fines up accordingly.

They will 😎 as well you want get a WOF so your insurance will be void 😀

Nico Linde
    Participant

Lets hope that it is open to discussion not like the super city carry on. Just for interest sake does anyone know what are they charging in other countrys for their regos

Alan
    Participant

In some European country that shall not be mentioned, except for that Kokopelli and I hail from it, private insurance (what the current Government seems hell-bent on introducing) is covering injury as well as other damage (3rd party).  (BTW, hardly anyone covers their own vehicle as this insurance is compulsory.)I think the premiums to get your bike on the road in that far-flung country are comparable to what is proposed here tonight.However, that scheme, apart from using horse-power instead of cc-rating as the measure, provides for generous no-claims discounts (up to 50%).  I want to believe it encourages more responsible riding and less mischievous claiming.  There are many of us who have been riding for 20, 30 or 40 years without a single incidence or claim.  Is it fair to share the risk with all and sundry riding bikes?But consider: providing a no-claims facility necessitates the establishment of "fault". Currently ACC runs under the no-fault principle, which NZ has got accustomed to.  With privatisation of ACC this will probably go.  Is that what we want?Whatever we do: It's a no-brainer that motorcyclist will revolt against this; they expect this.  But we need to have a united argument and a strategy, and need to offer alternatives!  We need to know what we are talking about, need statistics.And comparisons to other countries.MatthiasPS: Who, a while ago, released some statistics about what percentage of bike/car crashes had the rider at fault?  

David
    Participant

I'm with Ingel, but I'm going to buy 4x 250cc and bolt them together  😎 …….make that 5…..Cheaper to take the $400 hit for riding an unregistered bike, like 15% do alreadyYes Bwucie, when the buses are back we'll all have to get out and break down (or pseudo-crash) on the motorway at 0730 👿 I will be there! However being a pissed off bloke on a bike doesnt win anyone over (look at the cheesecutter campaign), Joe Blow, non biker, doesnt give a stuff and would rather we werent around to make him/her feel intimidated.It needs a joint effort of responsible riders to quietly and forcefully lobby the appropriate politicians. Perhaps the BMWOR executive could come up with a concerted plan to do this, we have enough retired persons capable of making themselves useful. The 'Scrooge Pool' could be used to cover their trips that will require them to go to Wellington, I'd even contribute $50 toward the campaign!The May issue of 'KiwiRider' has a good article from ACC in response to an earlier article from Mike Nash. Riders paid $12 million in levies, cost $62 million! Damn! The cage driver pays the difference. Jan 2009 (Phil Read's recent study), 68355 bikes were registered for the road, 45000 of which are over 600cc. At $745 each for over 600cc and $511 each for under 600cc levies will amount to approx. $45.5 million, the cage drivers still get to pay the rest!A better way would be to stop people falling off by training them better. I think my wife was disappointed when she excitedly rushed in and told me the news that I didnt immediately go and throw myself off the balcony or sell my bike! I was working out where to get the dosh as not riding is not an option.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Damn.  I'd be gutted if I owned a bike that was just barely inside the highest threshold.Like a 650 or something.hehe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.