Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Lights on R1100RT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am really surprised that the lights on my bike are so poor.  Has anyone else found the headlight to be just adequate?  I am using the recommended H4 65/55 bulb. And has anyone found an LED alternative for the tail light?  Mine is currently lasting about 4 months!  I have noted on other bike sites that RT owners tend to increase the output of the headlight, but don't say how.  Is there an alternatve for the H4?  As for LEDs, the one in the high stop light of my car has saved a hassle at every warrent check.  CheersMike  😎

David
    Participant

Supercheap Auto have higher wattage bulbs.

Mark Williams
    Participant

Hi Dick.Thanks.  I went to the Paraparam shop when I last relpaced the headlight and they told me there was none with higher wattage.  I will go back and look for myself!Cheers 😎

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Go to Repco. Get a Narva +50.same wattage but with better winding and gas 50% more light.I started using them when I had my Enfield BUllet because the output from the alt was so weak... made a BIG difference.CheersTracy

Mark Williams
    Participant

Thanks Tracy,That sounds like a good idea.  I have now found higher wattage H4 bulbs but I am not sure that's the best solution.  I will take a trip to repco.Cheers 😎

pdmeikle57
    Participant

they are about $24 singly or you can get a two pack 🙂cheersTracy

peter.trub
    Participant

Couple of things to be aware of when fitting higher wattage bulbs, Greater power requirement producing more heat.  😮 If you go to a to higher wattage you can actually cause what is sometimes called smoking, this is when the reflector gets burnt by the heat and therefore looses efficiency. Also the plug on the back of the bulb can become cooked and brittle.Thats not to say you shouldnt fit higher wattage, just dont go overboard with it!!  😀

pdmeikle57
    Participant

That's what I like about the +50's… still 55/60w but 50% more light. Particularly good for older bikes that don't have much in the way of alternator output 🙂cheersTracy

Murray
    Participant

Yep, Narva is the go. You should try the new bulb called Blue Power that they say delivers 80% more light than a standard headlight bulb and the beam is 20% whiter – which adds up to 100% more night-time vision.The enhanced halogen technology used in Blue Power was developed in Germany, where the new lights are also manufactured. It combines the performance of the Plus and Arctic Blue ranges, effectively providing two lights in one – it may seem strange, but blue headlights deliver a whiter beam.The brilliance of light is measured in Kelvins and Blue Power is rated at 3750 Kelvin, which almost doubles the measured luminance of standard headlight bulbs, i.e. more light on the road. They don’t give out any more heat or draw more power from the battery than a standard bulb, meaning they are suitable for use with polycarbonate lenses.NARVA is supplying Blue Power globes in H1, H3, H4 and H7 specifications, with full ECE and ADR approvals. $36 at your local automotive outlet.CheersGarry

pdmeikle57
    Participant

hmmm…  interesting.thanks for the headsup... might try one especially as winter is well and truely with us 🙂 ... and keep the +50 as a spare 🙂thanksTracy

Mark Williams
    Participant

Gary,Thanks for this good idea.  I have raised my headlight just enough not to annoy cars.  This morning I had a dark road to my self and as I have said, the 'standard' light is just adequate.  As Tracy says as we are in the depths of winter these lights become important.  By the way i have ordered some LED running lights for my tail-light.  I will let you know how they are.Cheers  😎

Mark Williams
    Participant

Gary and Tracy,I visited Repco in Johnsonville on the way home on Friday and bought the brightest white lamp I could, and put it in over the weekend.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  I would be happy to hoon off to Taupo now in the dead of night and not have to guess where the road led.  I will put a couple in the car too.  Thanks a lot to you both.Cheers  😀 😀 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi CavalierNZ,By the way I have ordered some LED running lights for my tail-light.  I will let you know how they are.Did you get the LED "running light" for your taillight and is it a light brake light? I see they sell them - a bayonet fit in Dick Smiths for about $12.00 but have not taken the lens off yet to see if they taillight is the same? Have you found them to be better or are you still waiting for delivery?There was an article in a recent two wheels magazine about LED taillights and they showed photographic evidence of how good the LED was over the standard bulb and I am keen to put one in if the result is keeping the goons behind me from getting so close!Cheers, 😉

Mark Williams
    Participant

Mike,I did order the LED tail lights but received an email that they would not export the product. Dear me itś such complicated technology.  I gave up at this stage.  I have new source of standard tail light bulbs - Repco, I have had one in for over 6 months and itś working fine.  I noticed following and RT during the Wellington ride to Lake Ferry on Sunday that itś tail light was integrated into the GIVI top box.  It looked great.  The LEDS on jap bikes look good to and can be seen from quite a distance.  I am looking for but have not yet found a plugable LED system for my taillight; it is actually quite small.  If I find something I will let you know.Cheers 😎

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi CavalierNZ,I wonder if the LED light from Repco is different from the one from Dick Smiths? I tried a 19 LED bulb and they are not very good at all  :x. They work alright but the LED's are very directional and because the rear light lens unit is designed for a conventional filament bulb and use the 360 degree reflection from the bulb, the directional LED bulb does not "fill" the lens with light. The LED does not also provide the rear number plate illumination through the clear plastic window in the lens.So what type is the Repco unit? a complete light unit (reflector, lens bulb etc) on its own? 😕Cheers,Mike 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.