Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk tyres for 1200gsa

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi I was loking at fitting a set of Midas E  07  or E08s,  I am aware I will need to fit tubes and the 07 are 50./50 road dirt and the E08  are 30 dirt 70 road.Has anyone tried either? any issues with a tube and idea of milages ,performance would be apreciated.cheers Phil

Murray
    Participant

Gidday PhilI've tried a Mitas E09 rear on the HP and for light gravel and dirt tracks it's not too bad - I did swap it out for a T63 on the recent Capital Coast but only because I want to make sure I had a bit of extra bite if it got wet. The E08, which is a bit more road orientated, gives pretty good grip on tarmac in the dry, but I don't think quite as flash in the wet, especially if you're loaded up, quite adequate though if you take it easy. They seem to perform well on loose gravel but I wouldn't be taking the bike anywhere too muddy. I haven't worn the ones I have right out yet but based on mileage to date I reckon they'd be good for 10,000+. I like the Mitas to be fair, they have a nice round profile and you get good feel when cornering with a smooth roll in as you lean over. Certainly price wise they are somewhat cheaper than equivalent Continentals, Metzlers etc. Having said that, I do rate Continetnals best, either Trail Attacks or TKCs depending on riding. I run my Trail Attacks tubeless but the TKCs have tubes (advantages in having two sets of rims  :-D. You should be able to run the Mitas tubeless, unless your doing more rough off-road riding than not.CheersGarry

John Jensen
    Participant

While on the subject of tyres, I am disappointed to be replacing the Tourances on the GS after a mere 25,000Kms. Is there anything better wearing out there?

peter.trub
    Participant

Dissapointed and 25000 kms are 2 words that dont belong in the same sentence  😀

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

While on the subject of tyres, I am disappointed to be replacing the Tourances on the GS after a mere 25,000Kms. Is there anything better wearing out there?

Car tyres, I am sure that wasn't meant to be serious.  Nice that you are getting this much out of a tyre and are still having fun.

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

25k is good. Hope to get the same out of mine after getting 25k on a set of Trail Attacks

Jim Young
    Participant

Obviously I am doing something wrong the most I have got out of Tourances is 10,000 for the rear and 15,000 for the front.My last rear on a 1200GS was a Continental Road attack and I got 8,160 Km but it was fun  😀

John Jensen
    Participant

They must be selling you second hand ones Jim. I have been all over the country – around the South Island twice, 2 up with all the gear (hair dryer etc) a lot of the time, gravel roads too. Mind you, I just changed the tyres on my 4×4 at 100,000 Kms – so maybe I am just not that wheelspinning type of bloke !

Jim Young
    Participant

Will have to go back to the drawing board then  🙂 all my riding is one up

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

They must be selling you second hand ones Jim. I have been all over the country - around the South Island twice, 2 up with all the gear (hair dryer etc) a lot of the time, gravel roads too. Mind you, I just changed the tyres on my 4x4 at 100,000 Kms - so maybe I am just not that wheelspinning type of bloke !

I think you are supposed to change them before they go pop 😀 😀boGSer

Dave Morris
    Participant

Obviously I am doing something wrong the most I have got out of Tourances is 10,000 for the rear and 15,000 for the front.My last rear on a 1200GS was a Continental Road attack and I got 8,160 Km but it was fun  😀

yes you have more than 3 gears on ya bike pops  😀

aegis4805
    Participant

watching this thread with interest as I contemplate fitting a Mitas E07 to the rear of my 1150GS – attempting to by a cheaper / et adequate tyre than the TKC which is excellent yet expensive.I have used an E07 on the rear of my DR650 on many adventure rides including this years Dusty Butt and its still only half worn after 10,000km in comparison I got 6,000 km from a D606 - highly regarded DOT legal knobbly.So am interested in others experience of running E07's on big GS' - with / without tubes for adventure riding - cheers S

jwglimited
    Participant

Hi all, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Sorry that I have not repied to each pst but unsure how it all works.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.