Home Forums Ride Reports Sunday through Whitemans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Cracker day down here on Sunday. The Wellington Owners Register crew had planned a ride out to Foxton beach for lunch but, given the HP2 is in for surgery at the moment, Jo and I decided instead to take the XT250s out for a spin through Whitemans Valley with a view to lunch at the Short Straw Cafe. About 10kms from our place, at the junction of Mangaroa Valley Road and Whitemans Valley Road sits the Wallaceville Church. The church was built in 1893 but is now privately owned. It was recently renovated retaining its beautiful native timber pews and 100 year old pump organ.  Very popular for weddings and other special ceremonies.KIF_0946.jpgNote the new helemt, nice!!KIF_0947.jpgWe stopped at Johnsons Road, where you'll find the Short Straw Cafe. This is Wellington region's first cafe built from straw! Apart from the great food, there's a gallery room featuring new artists every two months. Across the road, a small holding focuses on breeding Highland Cattle. KIF_0948.jpgUnfortunately the Short Straw is a really popular place and was packed to the gunnels. So we decide to head on to Silverstream to find something a bit more accommodating. So off we went.KIF_0949.jpgAfter a stomp (as far as you can on a 250) over Blue Mountains Road, a stop for coffee in Silverstream was in order. Yep, back in the suburbs.KIF_0950.jpgHeading back to Upper Hutt, a beautiful view of the snow topped peaksKIF_0951.jpgA right turn at Wallaceville and back over the hill into Mangaroa Valley and more views of the snow on the hills over a rural setting. KIF_0952.jpgA nice afternoon out by ourselves. The whole trip was only 46kms but on a 250 and with plenty of stops for a bit of a look around, it felt like a good afternoon out. We should do it this way more often I think.CheersGarry

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

So how does the Hp2 compare to the 250?  😀Judging by the photos you can have just as much fun on the little bikes.

Murray
    Participant

So how does the Hp2 compare to the 250?  😀

There's nothing to compare, everything just happens quicker on the HP  😀

Judging by the photos you can have just as much fun on the little bikes.

That was my point  😀

aegis4805
    Participant

As always Garry an interesting post – great pics and local info to whet the appetitie of others. Like you I chose not to go to the Foxton Cafe for lunch – different strokes for different folks. Went across the Pram Track with BusaJim on his 1150ADV and Tim of British Motorcyle spares aboard his Trumphy Scrambler with his daughter riding pillion.I should quickly add I was riding the littele DR350 feeling very cocky until I had the front wash out in deep clay whislt ascending to the summit of the PRAM. Pablo was there on your former Dakar which he handled with aplomb!Great bunch of guys - like you a great Sunday  :mrgreen: 😀Here's a link to the ride over on KiwiBiker http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=53177

Murray
    Participant

Cheers Stephen. I saw the invite to do the Pram and would have taken you up on it had Jo not been keen to get out on Sunday. She almost took the TRX to join the Foxton run and, has she done so, I would have come over on the XT (even shod with dual purpose Vee Rubber). However, we don't get occassion to ride together as much as I'd like, although if the plan I'm hatching comes together we might see her on some of our adventures. She's keen and has the skills, just need the right bike for her. I saw the thread on KB and looks like you had a ball anyway. I've not heard from Pablo since he got the Dakar but by the sound of it he's using it as intended. When you see him next pass on my regards.CheersGarry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.