Home Forums General Discussion Other motos in your ‘stable’?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just curious as to what other machines fellow BMW enthusiasts have in their garage / shed / quiver; since like the Speights ad 'it's hard to find the perfect woman son' (this applies to motos in my view). For me I have a Hexhead R1200GS as my 'any road tourer / mild adventure bike; a DR650SE for more challenging adventure riding (single track / off road) and now a Honda CT110 'Postie Bike' for fun. Be interested to learn others experiences / preferences. cheers Aslan aka 'Oaters' on ADV

Arne Rohde
    Participant

An F650GS twin for general duty, a Yamaha XT250 (rego currently on hold) for gravel/off-road, and a Honda GL400 to sit in the shed waiting to be fixed so it will start again.

aegis4805
    Participant

An F650GS twin for general duty, a Yamaha XT250 (rego currently on hold) for gravel/off-road, and a Honda GL400 to sit in the shed waiting to be fixed so it will start again.

Cheers Artig - the F650GS and the XT250 sounds a good combo. The Honda should be appreciating - I always wanted to own a GL500 'back in the day'

Anonymous
    Inactive

R1200GSA as the country bike (118k on the clock), a Hornet CB919 for commuting (138k on the clock).Combined, the current two have done more than 2/3 of all my mileage  ;D

Russell Taylor
    Participant

I'm actually finding it really hard to post photos on here.Still.R1200RT as my work bike.Adly Silver Fox 49 cc as my fun bike.Just sayin.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

I'm actually finding it really hard to post photos on here.

Do you have the photos hosted on another site? Or are you trying to upload them here? Note there is a 128KB limit per image if you upload them here, which means quite a large reduction in size and quality will be required for most photos. For off-site images there is an "insert image" button, where you then insert the URL of the image between the tag and end tag.

aegis4805
    Participant

R1200GSA as the country bike (118k on the clock), a Hornet CB919 for commuting (138k on the clock).Combined, the current two have done more than 2/3 of all my mileage  ;DHi Gremlin - nice combo, you find the big GSA a handful in anything more 'off road' than gravel? I realise it's all a matter of skill and confidence 🙂 Years ago - when the F800GS was first released, I rode Henry's for 100km of gravel and he rode my 1150GS, I found the F800GS confidence inspiring (heaps). Things were quickly put back in perspective when Henry flew past me on my 1150GS (skill and confidence)

aegis4805
    Participant

I'm actually finding it really hard to post photos on here.Still.R1200RT as my work bike.Adly Silver Fox 49 cc as my fun bike.Just sayin.

Thanks Daffy - the RT as a member of the Constabulary? As for your scoot - I hadn't heard of them - they look like fun - cheers S

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Thanks Daffy - the RT as a member of the Constabulary? As for your scoot - I hadn't heard of them - they look like fun - cheers S

No longer. I was a motorcycle Sgt and trainer until the bureaucracy got to me.Now I'm a motorcycle instructor with one of the local Ride Forever training contractors. I love my RT as a work bike.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Gremlin - nice combo, you find the big GSA a handful in anything more 'off road' than gravel? I realise it's all a matter of skill and confidence 🙂 Years ago - when the F800GS was first released, I rode Henry's for 100km of gravel and he rode my 1150GS, I found the F800GS confidence inspiring (heaps). Things were quickly put back in perspective when Henry flew past me on my 1150GS (skill and confidence)

Yeah, if you want to get really adventurous then it's best you have a mate or two handy, otherwise I usually find myself going gravel gravel boring, ooh this looks interesting, OH FUCK THAT  :o. If you know what you're in for, you definitely don't want 36L odd of fuel on top of the bike, best to go in with half a tank if you don't need the range.Confidence and skill do go a long way on the big bikes because the extra weight and horsepower complicates things. Momentum is your friend, but not when you're going in the wrong direction (and I think I'll always hate sand)  😉

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Hi Stephen, not riding quite so much these days and reached a point where we thought we'd finished with bikes altogether but after selling the C and my lovely F800GS we both felt something was missing from our lives and here we are today 🙂 I'll try and use the old Photobucket means of posting pics to see if it still works.IMG_20160416_112737_zps8sphvkdp.jpgBonnie_zps67ilcvlh.jpgBoth nice bikes and with a noisy set of mufflers the Bonnie always puts a smile on my face.Take careMalcolm

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

PHOTOBUCKET – It still works, if you search back a way you'll find the instructions courtesy of Alex B yonks ago.

aegis4805
    Participant

Hi Gremlin - nice combo, you find the big GSA a handful in anything more 'off road' than gravel? I realise it's all a matter of skill and confidence 🙂 Years ago - when the F800GS was first released, I rode Henry's for 100km of gravel and he rode my 1150GS, I found the F800GS confidence inspiring (heaps). Things were quickly put back in perspective when Henry flew past me on my 1150GS (skill and confidence)

Yeah, if you want to get really adventurous then it's best you have a mate or two handy, otherwise I usually find myself going gravel gravel boring, ooh this looks interesting, OH FUCK THAT  :o. If you know what you're in for, you definitely don't want 36L odd of fuel on top of the bike, best to go in with half a tank if you don't need the range.Confidence and skill do go a long way on the big bikes because the extra weight and horsepower complicates things. Momentum is your friend, but not when you're going in the wrong direction (and I think I'll always hate sand)  😉

Cheers Gremlin - in my experience 'tentative' does not work eh? As you say, and I constantly have to remind myself - momentum is our friend - and looking where we want to go (not down as the front wheel). I think a willingness to take this large GSes by the 'scruff of the neck' and ride with verve goes a long way to making forward momentum when off road - their sheer mass inhibits most of us mere mortals like myself. For these reasons I find the DR650SE more comfortable for the more serious off road sections. As for sand - this is definitely a case where power is essential to making progress when crossing soft sand.

aegis4805
    Participant

Hi Stephen, not riding quite so much these days and reached a point where we thought we'd finished with bikes altogether but after selling the C and my lovely F800GS we both felt something was missing from our lives and here we are today 🙂 I'll try and use the old Photobucket means of posting pics to see if it still works.IMG_20160416_112737_zps8sphvkdp.jpgBonnie_zps67ilcvlh.jpgBoth nice bikes and with a noisy set of mufflers the Bonnie always puts a smile on my face.Take careMalcolm

Hi Malcolm - glad to learn you're still doing it - moto riding that is - nice 'Rockster' and Bonnie. I like the Bonnies - and find myself looking idly on Trade Me from time to time. I fancy the 'Scrambler' myself. I've flirted with the idea of an F800GS - but couldn't bring myself to make the purchase of a late model one with all the bells and whistles given the cost of change - especially when my R1200GS fits my tall frame better than a standard F800GS.Hope to see you out there some time - Wanganui Cemetery Circuit - about three years ago was our last time. Kind regards S

aegis4805
    Participant

No longer. I was a motorcycle Sgt and trainer until the bureaucracy got to me.Now I'm a motorcycle instructor with one of the local Ride Forever training contractors. I love my RT as a work bike.

Hi Daffy - pleased to hear of your career change - what do they say something to the effect 'find a job you love and you'll have to work a day in your life'Were I younger and had my time again - with the appropriate skills (including the necessary medical training) I'd like to have been an Adventure Motorcycling tour guide 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.