Home Forums General Discussion New Police bikes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I see that the Police are kicking the BMW RT bikes into touch in favour of the Honda “Authority” based on the 1300ST, they come factory fitted with all the Police gizmos.First five of ten bikes for Auckland come into service today complete with "Look for Bikes" stickers emblazoned on the panniers.  8)

Anonymous

Any truth to the rumour I just started that Tony and Campbell have their Red and Black bikes booked in for a new livery to disguise their naughty acts with a uniform paint job?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have heard that BMW did not put in a tender for the supply of bikes to NZ Police.

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/new-police-motorcycles-launched-photosI don't think BMW fronted up with the new RT, just the older one. There is an ongoing concern about the maintenance cost of the RT, things like clutches are pretty much done at 50k intervals (not just when needed). I suspect the bean counters had a solid part in the decision...I still don't think it's a true factory authority model like the BMW (and a few others). I believe there is an outfit adding all the police gear... (and they had the odd issue with it).Still, I'll wait to see one in the flesh to see what they're up to and how they're dealing with all the equipment...

Mark Mackay
    Participant

I don't think You can expect BMW to compete with their higher spec new model , against Honda with there 10 year old design as good a work horse as it is. It all comes down to money and fit for purpose.Don't know how BMW managed to compete in the past, did they load the price onto the retail buyer?(That's You and Me) The dry clutches in there RTs get a hard time with all the slow speed training they do.Good on the Police for buying Hondas it's Our money they are spending and they have to show best value. Yamaha FJR 1300 was the other bike the Police tested.

Dave Morris
    Participant

I hear Honda actually have 11 of them. 1 is  a spares bike.

Anonymous

A spears bike: jousting for bikers. Wonder if Steve's teefsh got knocked out at the tourney?

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Interesting discussion.BMW put an air cooled R1200RTP DOHC up for the tender trial, as the water cooled one hadn't come out at that time.It was pitted against a Yamaha FJR1300, and the Honda. The Honda was poorly prepared for the trial, but the trail was happening, and they had to take it as it was.The BMW came out as the riders favourite, with the Yamaha second, and the Honda third.The Honda was chosen due to the costs of purchase and servicing. Given that, we wondered at the time why they bothered to do a trial, but maybe it was just to make sure the Honda was at least in the same ball park.Of course, some of us have significant loyalty to the brand, so it's inevitable that there's comment around the bikes. But basically, if they bought me any bike and paid for the gas, I'd probably ride it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Of course, some of us have significant loyalty to the brand, so it's inevitable that there's comment around the bikes. But basically, if they bought me any bike and paid for the gas, I'd probably ride it.

It will be interesting to see how the guys adapt to the Honda. It can easily be little things like the weight balance, amount of steering lock, throttle response, it makes a lot of difference for exercise scenarios. That said, while part of it is clearly technique, one of the other Event Rider crew had an ST1300, and stopped coming to events as his clutch got very unhappy. As said, a lot could be technique (like if he's riding the hell out of his clutch). Won't know until they're beating the hell out of them, as clearly all the history is with the BMW.While the forum will lynch me, you should have CB900s. I've done 100,000km (over about 8 years, averages 12k a year) since my boss provided it for work, only a couple of thou out of that was open road, the rest was motorway and suburban stuff, beats the hell out of the gearbox and clutch and it barely misses a beat. No engine/gearbox/clutch work besides a worn clutch cable at 60k (which is an easy replacement).  ;D Currently it has about 128k on the clock.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Of course, some of us have significant loyalty to the brand, so it's inevitable that there's comment around the bikes. But basically, if they bought me any bike and paid for the gas, I'd probably ride it.

It will be interesting to see how the guys adapt to the Honda. It can easily be little things like the weight balance, amount of steering lock, throttle response, it makes a lot of difference for exercise scenarios. That said, while part of it is clearly technique, one of the other Event Rider crew had an ST1300, and stopped coming to events as his clutch got very unhappy. As said, a lot could be technique (like if he's riding the hell out of his clutch). Won't know until they're beating the hell out of them, as clearly all the history is with the BMW.While the forum will lynch me, you should have CB900s. I've done 100,000km (over about 8 years, averages 12k a year) since my boss provided it for work, only a couple of thou out of that was open road, the rest was motorway and suburban stuff, beats the hell out of the gearbox and clutch and it barely misses a beat. No engine/gearbox/clutch work besides a worn clutch cable at 60k (which is an easy replacement).  ;D Currently it has about 128k on the clock.

Hi GremI've resigned from the job, effective 29 May. I won't get the chance to experience the ST much.As it happens, I've been advocating for smaller bikes since 2008. Maybe the deaf ears are part of why I'm going.I'd have picked the F800ST as my bike of choice. The bean counters would have been happy, as it's cheaper to service, buy and run. The guys would have loved it, as I've loved the two I had.The ST is used world wide, and I've been in touch with my counterparts who speak English. Comments almost exclusively come from the basis of brand loyalty. Honda people love Hondas, Beemer people love Beemers. No surprise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ST is used world wide, and I've been in touch with my counterparts who speak English. Comments almost exclusively come from the basis of brand loyalty. Honda people love Hondas, Beemer people love Beemers. No surprise.

Sorry to hear, but as long as you're happy.The brand loyalty makes it hard to compare... wait and see I guess, I'm coming across the odd bike cops, either through IAM or events, so I'll get their thoughts at some point. I ride a Honda for work and own a BMW, like both... what does that make me?  😮

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Came across 3 new ST 1300 police bikes and 3 RTs at the gas station today, they had been just around the Coromandal Loop, doing there Re certification .They had the day before done there twists and turns drill so no burnt out clutches.Tough work riding a bike most days but somebody's got to do it.(lucky Chaps).Daffy Your bags should turn up tomorrow.BMW make a F800 GT and GS police bike model as well as Hondas VFR800 and Yamaha make smaller XJ models.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Here's another option for police bike.

BMW C evolution Scooters Delivered to Barcelona Police

"Did you know that BMW currently supplies over 80,000 motorcycles worldwide for law enforcement use? Agencies in over 150 countries on five continents currently use BMW motorcycles. In the USA alone, more than 225 law-enforcement agencies use BMW machinery.And soon, more and more of those agencies will pilot electrically-powered two wheelers, such as the BMW C evolution scooter. The trend began this week when BMW Motorrad supplied 30 of its C evolution scooters to Barcelona City Hall for use by local police."2015-bmw-c-evolution-delivered-to-barcelona-police-1.jpgThe photos and remainder of the story can be found at: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/03/18/bmw-c-evolution-scooters-delivered-to-barcelona-police/No doubt there will also be a press release from BMW at some stage.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Herd today one of the new STs has already had a crash while out on a recertifcation ride yesterday,So maybe Steve that's why Bluewing kept a spare bike in stock. Poor Bobby lots of paperwork to do,Hope He was nothurt. Might of been an Instructor as well.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Not hurt. Wet road with excess tar bleed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.