Home Forums General Discussion NEW HOME PAGE

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I Know it has been said before,but I will say it one more time,we are so lucky to have someone like Bwucie to fiddle with our website and generally save us some money at a time when funds are hard to come by, however I do agree with a previous post that we have backed him into a corner where he seems to be spending far more of his free time than we should expect. I admire his loyalty to the club and in particular his service to our Auckland BMW riders group, but I feel he is suffering from willing horse sindrome and we should recue him before he crashes and burns bless him !I guess unless anyone else with the relavent skills required to perform a webectomy puts their hands up to give up hours and hours of free time,the obviuos answer is to bite the bullet and put it in the hands of someone who actually gets paid for doing it.Anyway...thats my ten cents......now Bwucie get the mower out and cut that grass you lazy git !Rincewind

Jim Young
    Participant

Well said Rincewind, couldn't agree more, especially as he doesn't even have a bike anymore !!!

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Perhaps a formal note to the exec from you guys? which would then be read and discussed at the next meeting and if agreed upon might elicit some action to get paid professional management of the web site.But let me be devils advocate and suggest the other volunteers that run the club also put many hours in gratis.  A volunteer is just that and if and when the load gets too much for any of them they move on and let someone else take over.  When the jobs become either too large or technical then we have to revisit our commitment or pay up.As far as I'm aware we only have one "professional" volunteer that being Philip our treasurer.  He is ready to admit it is taking him time to understand MYOB and finding PAYPAL cumbersome.  I suggest most past exec members have had to self learn accounting, graphic, and other software packages as technology overtook the club and apart from the very odd occasion they have been keen amateurs at best.    I don't know if Bruce has any formal training in Web design or is a self taught enthusiast, he surely appears to know much more than most but there comes a time when technology catches up and overtakes us and when this happens we must bow to it and pay up.

Murray
    Participant

Paying someone to do this was a consideration, we've looked at proposals as to what could be done that equate to quite significant dollars. Bruce is a grown lad, he volunteered to undertake this. There are others around to help.

Anonymous

Paying someone to do this was a consideration, we've looked at proposals as to what could be done that equate to quite significant dollars. Bruce is a grown lad, he volunteered to undertake this. There are others around to help.

Dead right, it doesn't take as much time as leading rides does, and I can't do that at the moment due to lack of bike.And I'm delighted to report I actually have a couple of fans who have commented they can find "stuff" reasonably easily within the site: that was one of the (well, my) aims.A professional website looks flash, but can gobble dollars.  Will gobble dollars, because that's how web developers make a living.  A website is nowhere near as important to us as a newsletter, various rides and gatherings together of BMWOR members, and the general camaraderie of motorcyclists.  A really flash website won't bring us a greatly increased membership, or persuade (for instance) Suzuki riders  ;D, or still waiting, wannabe Suzuki riders  :'( to buy a BMW.  All we need to do is say who we are, where we are, what we do and when we do it.  We certainly don't need to have quirky little titles that pop up when you hover your mouse over the photos of our various "Contacts", but when you pay the man peanuts he acts like a monkey.I don't have enough life left to start getting serious now....................

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't have enough life left to start getting serious now....................

;D So true for most of us Bwucie  ;D

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

Just another question on this. Why does internet explorer 9 & windows 7 show a different home page to the one that you get on internet explorer 8 & XP  when you use the www,bmwor.org.nz address boGSer

Anonymous

Two possible reasons: most likely the older machine is loading out of its cache – most versions of Internet Explorer are buggars for doing that.  If, in fact, the newer machine has the odd behaviour, same rules could apply, although I'd admit to being surprised!Cure?  Dump your cache, or simply click the refresh button.  If you still have the problem, come back to me, because it could be a rendering problem I don't know about (I have tested with WinXP and IE8 but haven't [yet] got around to booting Win7 to check. I do still have Win7 on my netbook, I'll get around to deleting that partition if I ever run out of space, meantime I never boot Windows, because it's poison, and bad for my mental health.) 😮

Anonymous

Is the New Home page temporary or is this it. I liked the RSS feeds for the latest disscusions.boGSer

I'm working on the news feed at the moment: it is the one part of the website I cannot do without javascript, because that is the only practical way for me to embed the stuff in the page.As I have had to compromise myself about javascript I have weakened and created a widget for the latest discussions which sits in the sidebar of the homepage. (And boy, does it slow down the page load - one of several reasons I didn't really want to do this.) I now despise myself......The newsfeed may not be running today as I intended, got distracted along the way, so the link on the homepage doesn't go anywhere - - - yet. (Later: It's a very modest start, but the news feed is running. I'd say it was beer o'clock, but I haveta drive the Waka Holden into Penrose later to open up for our meeting. 20c/km would be nice? Remember back in the day when mileage used to be based on the Public Service Garage rate? It was never that low.)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.