Home Forums Members New forum member in RSA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi,I am excited to learn that there is an active rider community in New Zealand and would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself as I am considering emigration to your beautiful country. I ride an '08 R1200GS and I am a member of a similar club in Pretoria, South Africa. We meet on the first Friday evening of the month followed by out rides on the Sunday which are split between tar and off-road (GS). I favour the GS rides as these are never boring. We often stop for a break when we encounter obstacles or someone needs a smoke break. We always end up at a venue where a meal is devoured - typically a breakfast at lunch time. I particularly enjoy the technical riding as it challenges your skills. These are also mostly done at slower speeds, so the chances of injury are minimal. This is exactly the opposite with tar riding for me, as it becomes boring and for me a biker by nature is looking for some excitement leading to the taking of chances. This I am sure would be a topic for much debate......Our club meets at the local Motorrad (Bavarian), and they sponsor a light meal and provide chairs in the back of the dealership for our meetings. The relationship we have with our dealer is very healthy as a result, and we also qualify for discounts by being members.The club is very healthy at the moment with, I believe, around 400 "paid up" members. Obviously not everyone attends every meeting, but it can get a little crowded. The club GS out rides last year needed to be split into 2 groups because of these numbers and it was decided that one would be for novices and the other for more technical riding. At one stage the novice group had 40 riders and pillions on a regular basis.I like to make videos of the rides and I do post to You Tube and then embed them on our forum. I will also place the links here if permitted, and I look forward to viewing any material that you guys share as it gives a wonderful insight into the riding conditions and of more interest - the people. If you guys are interested in what we get up to, I could also post links to our forum, or perhaps you would be interested to join - forums are normally free. Whichever is most convenient.Lets keep the rubber side down.Kind Regards,Vaughan Wepener

Anonymous
    Inactive

Links work, but embedding won't.Sorry, we only talk about riding... at Starbucks ;D

Anonymous

Welcome to our Forum, Vauhgan.'Fraid Gremlin is right, I don't allow embedded videos because Simple Machine Forums reckon them as a security risk, but links, of course, work, and I'm sure you will find a willing audience amongst our members. As for his comment about only talking about riding at Starbucks, I have two rebuttals to make to that:Gremlin rides a GSA, and it doesn't confine itself to tar-seal, so he does a bit more than just "talk about riding".We know way more places to get coffee than just Starbucks: we are blessed with cafes with good tucker and good coffee in the most unexpected corners of the country.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.