Home Forums Members Joining BMWOR from Wellington

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hello everyone,All going well, around mid-October an '06 R1200RT will be sharing the shed with our '06 Ginny 250.  I'm blaming a mate in Kapiti for getting me hooked in the marque again after letting me take his R1100RT out for a ride recently.  I used to borrow a K100 from a mate in Wellington in the mid-90s as he was 'too busy to ride it' (go figure...)Bike evolution has progressed from my Uni days on C80 and C90 step-through scooters, an '86 GN250 (a real, made-in-Japan GN with chrome that l-a-s-t-s) and a CBX 750F2F Bol d'Or.  We've recently returned from a five-month trip through Asia that included two months/7500km two-up on a Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc Machismo around central, northwest and east India.Looking forward to owning my first BMW after drooling over my mates' bikes, and some quality two-up touring that doesn't involve dodging exotic wildlife (including monkeys, sacred cows, elephants, snakes) or monster Indian trucks that make our B-trains look like Minis with trailers.Once the RT gets here, is there someone local-ish that could walk/talk me through routine maintenance?  I'm guessing what worked on the Enfield (including percussive maintenance with a handy rock) probably won't be tolerated by the RT.(avatar is Adrienne and me with our Enfield in Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, India)

Robin
    Participant

Welcome. From the Hutt.You will have to get used to the name David, as it is very popular in the branch and indeed in the club. - I'm one of them!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hello everyone,All going well, around mid-October an '06 R1200RT will be sharing the shed with our '06 Ginny 250.  I'm blaming a mate in Kapiti for getting me hooked in the marque again after letting me take his R1100RT out for a ride recently.  I used to borrow a K100 from a mate in Wellington in the mid-90s as he was 'too busy to ride it' (go figure...)Bike evolution has progressed from my Uni days on C80 and C90 step-through scooters, an '86 GN250 (a real, made-in-Japan GN with chrome that l-a-s-t-s) and a CBX 750F2F Bol d'Or.  We've recently returned from a five-month trip through Asia that included two months/7500km two-up on a Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc Machismo around central, northwest and east India.Looking forward to owning my first BMW after drooling over my mates' bikes, and some quality two-up touring that doesn't involve dodging exotic wildlife (including monkeys, sacred cows, elephants, snakes) or monster Indian trucks that make our B-trains look like Minis with trailers.Once the RT gets here, is there someone local-ish that could walk/talk me through routine maintenance?  I'm guessing what worked on the Enfield (including percussive maintenance with a handy rock) probably won't be tolerated by the RT.(avatar is Adrienne and me with our Enfield in Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, India)

Welcome to the Register. If you have any more pictures, we'd love to see them.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

(including percussive maintenance with a handy rock) probably won't be tolerated by the RT.

Welcome to the club, don't worry all BMWs ROCK  8)Malcolm.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats…To repeat some words the dealer said to me when I collected my GSA...Me: "Now I assume you've run the accessories under the tank, can you please tell me how to remove the tank, as I'll need to add some more in the future"Dealer:  😮 "Please see your nearest authorised dealer"

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the welcomes.  I'll post some more pics from our Indian motorcycling adventures under Ride Reports soon.  Three weeks to go before a spinning propellor logo fights for space with our wee GN250. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats...To repeat some words the dealer said to me when I collected my GSA...Me: "Now I assume you've run the accessories under the tank, can you please tell me how to remove the tank, as I'll need to add some more in the future"Dealer:  😮 "Please see your nearest authorised dealer"

The Dealer will know if you have removed the tank,the second you dissconnect the fuel lines the can bus system will send a satalite message to the dealers HQ with your vin number and your warranty will be made void instantly.I think you may be allowed to change a light bulb though as long as you buy it from them and ask permission first !

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Dealer will know if you have removed the tank,the second you dissconnect the fuel lines the can bus system will send a satalite message to the dealers HQ with your vin number and your warranty will be made void instantly.I think you may be allowed to change a light bulb though as long as you buy it from them and ask permission first !

Clearly there are too many of us doing that, coz it ain't been followed up... that, or stop giving them bloody ideas!BMW is basically on a mission to remove the toolkit... I got 7 tools with my GSA...

Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of weekends ago, this followed me home so I kept it  🙂  This '05 R1200Rt was owned by te Waiponamu Motorcycle Tours in Chch, and has traded flat places for the hills of Wellington.I've also introduced the team at Motomart in Lower Hutt to their new resident bike, and then talked to the bank manager about extending my credit card limit to pay for parts...For Richard from Chch - hope your ride from Kaikoura to Chch was a good as mine in the other direction.  And I finally found my earplugs too.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Lovely machine, congratulations.  I bet you had a mile wide smile on the ride up from the Garden City ;D 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sure was smiling, Malcolm, and thanks  ;D There was the odd nervous grin creeping in until I worked out that this thing corners like a rocket ship on rails and will go anywhere you point it (unlike the Royal Enfiled which handled a little like a filing cabinet on ice).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.