Home Forums General Discussion Inter-Island ferry Crossing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

What do you need by way of tie downs and such, when you take a bike across the Strait? Thanks Loins

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Get some cheap ratchet tie downs.  Three should probably do it.  Make sure the hooks have some sort of protection on them, maybe you can slide a bit of tube over them.

Anonymous

Make sure and tie it down on the side stand only do not tie down on the main stand as the bike comes off the stand in rough weather. You need two ties at the front and one or two at the rear. Watch you don't park next to some one who does not tie there bike down properly. 🙁

Anonymous

Just tie it like it was on a trailer, with no stand, then it can't fall off it. Camlocks are fine, and if you are at Experience at the right time, they throw out the ties off new bikes, and they work fine on the ferry. You don't need ratchet ties.[img width=800 height=532]http://is.gd/5hDex[/img]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks team… I'll talk to Henry about the ties.CheersLoinsps Bwucie: thanks for the photo that was exceedingly helpful!!!

Anonymous

Just tie it like it was on a trailer, with no stand, then it can't fall off it. Camlocks are fine, and if you are at Experience at the right time, they throw out the ties off new bikes, and they work fine on the ferry. You don't need ratchet ties.[img width=800 height=532]http://is.gd/5hDex[/img]

I would not use the BMW ties as they don't last and may let the bike go. I've seen it happen. You could tie the bike like on a trailer but the front wheel may slide out. A bike trailer has U channel runners to stop the front wheel sliding side ways. On the bikes side stand this will not happen. Think about it 😉

Mark Williams
    Participant

I agree with all of the above.  I have been on the ferry a couple of times and each time I was really glad I had my own tie-downs.  The ones on the ferry are inevidably jammed.  It's a good idea to park next to some fussy bugger as you can be assured his/her bilke will not fall.Happy sailing

Anonymous

I would not use the BMW ties as they don't last and may let the bike go. I've seen it happen. You could tie the bike like on a trailer but the front wheel may slide out. A bike trailer has U channel runners to stop the front wheel sliding side ways.

Dean's right, a purpose built bike trailer does have a channel, which certainly helps, car trailers don't. I haven't lost a bike yet off my car trailer, and I ain't young. Certainly, if you are not practised or confident, a side stand is belt and braces secure, but I always worry more about damaging my sidestand than the bike falling over. Always chock the front wheel if you don't use the stand, whip a bit of cord around your front brake lever, and I have seen others put a light lashing low on the front wheel to stop it twisting.I'm normally the first biker finished tying down when I go on the ferry, but I have had a lot of practice picking up broken down bikes.Put some tent pegs in your back lawn to stand in for deck holdfasts, and practise before you leave home: that way you hit the ship as an accomplished wizard, instead of the dick-of-the-day. Twitch the left side down first, then pull the bike down on the right to compress the suspension and get it upright, if you go for no stand. DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE SIDESTAND DOWN AGAIN BEFORE YOU LET THE RIGHT HAND TIES GO BEFORE DISEMBARKATION!If you use the side stand, twitch the left side down then pull the bike down progressively in even increments on both sides.Try and avoid parking anywhere near a Harley: for some reason their owners never seem to "get it", and their bikes tend to be the first to lie down for a rest. Good luck!

Robin
    Participant

I'd back Bwucies system. If you are adopting the 'tying down on a trailer' theory, make sure your tyres are on a dry surface. The tyre may slip under the bike. The dynamics of pitch and roll of the ship will change the pull and strain on the strops/ropes.I travelled on the ferry recently for the SI Rag Rally and there were new ropes (with floor hooks) and ratchet straps. (But like tramping, you should take your own tent incase there are no bunks left in a hut!)

Dave Morris
    Participant

hey Brucie. I thought a kiwi bloke like you would just ride out to Titahi Bay. Hop off ya bike and strap it to ya bike and swim the wee dip.

Anonymous

Born in February, and in the Chinese year of the rat, so I am an Aquarian water rat, but swimming, to me, is surviving while in water where me feets won't touch the floor, which is why I allus takes my fins when I swims at a surf beach. While Bee-ems are good bikes, they are plurry useless at carting six-and-a-half metre long sea kayaks, or even 2.2m surfyaks.This leads directly to one of the reasons I own a cage as well as our bikes/scoots. The other reason is you don't need to tie a car down on the ferry. 😀

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

If you can, i know we get a discount with interislander… I find bluebridge more user friendly when crossing. You get on ahead of the car, they let you set up with any hassle of those same people and they also let you off ahead off all of the other vehicles where possible.And they are even willing to help without being asked.Just my thoughts

Anonymous
    Inactive

eh…. bluebridge?not sure what that refers to.... but they sound good!CheersLoins

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

It's the “other” ferry :-). Never tried them, but it seems their ships are a bit smaller, so the crossings could be rougher. Haven't heard any complaints, though. I they are also cheaper, but discount we get still undercuts that a little, I think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.