Home Forums General Discussion Importing a bike from Germany

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi guys an girls….My mate and myself are planning our ultimate adventure…..a trip to the home of BMW a tour round the factory and the purchase of our new bikes to tour around Europe…..can anyone help with info on purchasing and getting our bikes back to good ole NZ?? Is it actualy worth it to purchase overseas?? Cheers…Mal

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

It’s hard to say if it’s worth it in financial terms. There is not much of a price difference. You probably won’t have to pay the German GST of 16%, but you’ll probably end up paying import duty in NZ. They’ll fit some sort of export plate to the bike, from memory it’s oval.

However, picking up your own bike from the factory and riding it around Europe will be a special memory.

Anonymous

Thanks Alex…..the difference in price less the German VAT is nearly 15 thousand dollars according to the prices that I got from motorad in Berlin…..Unfortunatly they will not sell us a bike directly from the factory….but from the dealer who is basicaly next door. But you are quite right….what an adventure….I’m sure it will be worth it in the long run but will take some planing. I believe you are from that part of the world…I may call on your expertise later if thats ok…..Cheers….Mal

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

A $15000 price difference seem s a bit high, I assume you mean $1500?
    I'd be happyto help, but I am not up to date with current conditions.

Cheers,
    Alex

Anonymous

I was quoted 11700 euros less the 16% tax Thats a heck of a lot less than the 28k Hamilton motorcycles want for the same bike

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The tax free euro price works out to NZD $16698 at the current rate. Quite a saving. Which bike will you buy? I hope NZ customs won’t spoil the party too much. Sounds like you’ll be getting a free trip and holiday for the difference. Good luck 🙂

David
    Participant

By the time you get it here, pay GST on the landed cost, plus compliance and wof my estimate is $22,500 at today’s exchange rate, based on what it cost me to bring my bike from Japan. A possible saving of $5500? Oh, plus the air ticket there and back and the organizing and getting it to the wharf then back to the airport, etc., etc. At least there are more English understanders to help you 🙂

Anonymous

Oh Bother….Looks like the partners honeymoon gonna have to wait as well then 🙁

Paul
    Participant

Dodgy,

Working in the import/export industry, I see many individuals who have set out on similar dreams to yours, but have ended up wondering why they bothered! There are many costs along the way which you may not be made aware of - cleaning, crating, transport, shipping, port fees, MAF inspection fees, container fees, more storage, more transport etc. etc.

Hint - get yourself a really good agent. They will know the best way to do things. I would suggest finding a NZ agent who can help you before you go and then again once you bring bike home. This way it will be easier to address any issues once home, rather than trying to contact a German agent!

I can help with some contacts if required.

But, think of that adventure! How much is that worth to you? And you're not doing this for financial gain.

Good luck.

Martyn

Anonymous

Thanks Martyn……and…no we are not doing this for financial gain….the adventure…its a bit of a pipe dream…but we are going to do our best to make it a reality…….Thanks also to everyon’es input on this….watch this space

David
    Participant

Go for it! ➡

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.