Home Forums General Discussion Helmet Intercom

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am considering the purchase of rider to passenger helmet intercom. Is any one using the Oxford Bikemate 3 system or recommend a good all round unit that won’t break the bank?

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Hi there Ingel, I don’t use one but there are a lot of members and non members who are using the Baehr system and I haven’t yet heard a negative response. As for cost my only comment would be that I tried a GAP ($100) system many years ago and it created more problems for my wife and I than it solved. Not much use over about 60Kph and fiddly to use. I guess the old addage “you get what you pay for” is very true when dealing with this sort of thing. See the back page of the July newsletter for details.

Good luck

Malcolm

Tharon KNOETZE
    Participant

Thanks Malcolm. I have looked at the Baehr system and its great but $ are an issue at present. Cheers

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Hi Ingel

You might want to check out these guys, local Kiwi outfit:

http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/motorcycle__communications.htm

Don't know what the product is like, was thinking of trying a set in the near future.

Cheers
    Tracy

Hans Claus
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I tried heaps of low priced units ... they were the most expensive as they all ended in the rubbish

I purchased a AutoCom 5 years and 100,000km ago, and love it ... it was expensive but the cheapest in the long run 😀

Tharon KNOETZE
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. On Friday I was in Rotorua where amalgamate2000 is based. I purchased a full face headset, an open face head set and the intercom unit for $119.00 Today my wife and I rode from Auckland to Te Awamutu and back again during which we used the intercom. What can I say? – It worked well. To start with there was a lot of wind noise comming from the open face headset but with a little playing around the noise was reduced. Still need to “play” with it some more to be 100% happy but for the dollars paid, I’m not complaining. Amalgamate2000 is currently looking at bringing in an intercom unit that also supports cell phones, radio and mpeg players. 😀

Anonymous

Hi Ingel,I have recently purchased the Starcom1 system (www.starcom1.com) from England and it is great.  As is said above you get what you pay for and I have connected both a radio and a cellphone (via bluetooth) to it and it still has capacity for an auxiliary and a spare input (such a a radar detector or the likes).  Which I suspect will stay a spare for everyone here.  If you want to see the quality there are two sound files you can download.  The installation took about 2 hours and the communication is crystal clear - I do not even have to raise my voice to talk - normal talking activates it.  Now I just have to match it with the basic system and a two way radio so wifey and I can talk on different bikes.  They also offer an ear insert speaker so you don't have to fix the speakers in your helmet but they plug directly into your ears and double as earplugs!  Best thing ever.If you need any further details contact me and I will be more than willing to help.CheersPierre

2bjr
    Participant

Pierre.Broadband gekry 😕 😕 Welkom.Thanks for the link on the intercom.  So you want to listen to the wife when you are in your domain also  😕

Tharon KNOETZE
    Participant

Thanks Pierre (and welcome)After purchasing a cheap unit from Amalgamate, which lasted about 6 months, I bought a Starcom1 Advance unit following the recommendation of several BMWOR members. It's brilliant!. Running rider to pillion, GPS, radio/cd and ipod. Took several attempts to get the sound balance right but haven't touched it now for a long time. To me it is great value for money although some of the cables can be expensive. Like the idea of the earpieces, though.  Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

I personally like  scalarider for the purpose. I bought it at supercheap auto. It is basically a bluetooth connected to helmet. it does the business, even in heavy traffic and at high speeds.

Nico Linde
    Participant

Been using a Blueant  system for the last 18 months with good results, can still talk at 100 ks clearly this is abluetooth unit,got it from cycle treads, I was getting new tyres for the gs and notice there is a new model out

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bye the way has anyone seen or used the new Scala Rider G4 yet? I heard it is out here in about a month or so

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Nope on the Gen 4, but the Scala Rider set I have (bluetooth) eats the Baehr set on my work helmet. So much so that I've now got a CARDO headset in my sries 5 helmet in addition to the Baehr set the employer makes me use.Just my experience.Ta ra.

Bruce Isles
    Participant

Hey guys – new to the forum & considering an intercom for recent GS1250 purchase – don’t seem to be many / any recent posts on this topic (although I am still finding my way around the forum…!). Looking at the Cardo Edge and welcome any feedback on this – mostly wanting to use it for pillion intercom, music, maybe some rider to rider. Want to integrate seamlessly with the bike TFT and Nav VI. Many thanks, Bruce

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.