Home Forums General Discussion Dealer/supplier endorsements Garmin GPS repairs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I have a couple of Garmin Zumo 550 GPS units.One of them suffered a sudden death last month. One day it was working fine, the next day it would not power up.Garmin were "helpful" in that they suggested a few things which did not work and then advised that they did not have a repair option as they had no service department and did not support that model anymore. The solution according to them was to get a new one, at $1299 !I decided to pull it apart as it must be some dry joint, power supply fault. Wrong, nothing evident at all.Talked to my insurers and they said it was covered but I have a $500 excess, so it was going to be an expensive claim.The internet became my friend, and I found a place in the USA that said they could fix SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) as it is a well known problem with this model.I mailed it off last week, then got an email on Monday of this week to say that it had been received. On Tuesday I received another email saying that it was fixed, but they recommended replacing a couple of buttons and the internal backup battery. I OK'd this and got an email back within minutes saying that it was fixed and was on its way back to me. Total cost under NZ $150. The chap is named Chris ShortHere is his address:>            Short Tronics, INC.> >            51612 US Highway 169> >            Mankato, MN 56001-6584

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Thanks for that, Quiltzig.Some extra information: the business is also known as PalmDr, repairing Palm PDAs, but now repair various other devices. Their web site is at: http://www.palmdr.com, from where they may be contacted directly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.