Home Forums General Discussion Funny noise in a 1200RT

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What does it mean when you push the start button on a 1200RT and you hear a big bang, followed by a wheezy noise from the left cylinder head? ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hmmm, it means there is a problem :-D. Have you checked if both throttle cables are correctly in the housing by the throttle body? Spark plug missing or incorrectly installed? Oil filler cap missing? It's be something really simple and stupid. The sort of thing that happens to me all the time. Some one once said, that if you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras, unless of course you're in Africa. I always think zebras myself :-).

Russell Taylor
    Participant

For the record, I rode to a gas station, filled up, went to restart the beast and the mighty bang happened.Oh darn.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Well, that's pretty much beyond me :-). So did the bike run again after this? Maybe you got some bad fuel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So we're working on “The Big Bang” Theory… and hypothesising what it all means.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

JUst googled the Big Bang theory. Nothing of any help there.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

……………….other than to learn of The quark epoch. Possibly related to the spark plug, but I'm not sure.Ho hum, interplanetary mechanics.

David
    Participant

Leaking fuel injector?Valve clearances too tight?hopefully it is still under warranty?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Sounds like it is his company vehicle. We still don;t know if it was a one of bang, or the final bang.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Yes, company vehicle. Funny, when the bang happened it sounded like a shotgun going off, and everyone in the bust gas station forecourt ducked for cover !!

peter.trub
    Participant

You have experienced an ignition malfunctionย  ๐Ÿ˜€ Loud bang like shotgun would be backfire. wheezing is old ageย  ๐Ÿ˜ฎ or compression by pass. Take 2 Asprin and put the bike on a trailer then proceed to the Doctors ๐Ÿ˜‰

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Okay, just back from the doctors.The loud bang was a backfire, although it sounded like it came from the engine, not the exhaust. The wheezing arose because the backfire blew the fuel injector out. Yes, BLEW THE FUEL INJECTOR OUT.So the RT is back on the road, all I have to do now is wonder when it will happen again.Sigh.

peter.trub
    Participant

Told ya soย  ๐Ÿ˜€ If it happens again get the injectors checked. Could be a leaky one. Mean time ride and smileย  ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.