Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Fork it…………work required

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In the past there hasn't been a thing I have had a problem with that someone hasn't already solved.So, here is my recent grizzle.The lower end of my forks and the triple bracket half way up have lost their appearance, and it is driving me nuts. I look at the damn things every time I get near the bike, and I hate it.So, do I just build a bridge and get over it, or do I go the whole hog? Has someone solved this before (inevitable, really), or am I the first?Any comments welcomed.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Ande before someone else says it, I know it's a GS, I know it 11 years old, I know I'm being OCD…………….yes, I already know.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Me again Daffy.  One other thing I have done which has proved successful has been to grind off the peeling Chrome over aluminium fittings on the bike that hold the saddle on.  Then attacked them with the grinding discs and polish as mentioned in other post.  They come up like new – the aluminium polishes up a treat.  Many years ago I scored a Yamaha XJ900 as a do up for my son.  I remember the alloy forks and casings were a mess with corrosion under the clearcoat.  I stripped it off and polished the forks etc and the bike came up a treat.  only thing is you then have to keep up with the polishing.

Dave Morris
    Participant

geez that looks terrible. I dont no how you can put up with it. 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Been there, done that…pull the fork legs off, then the lower triple mount, power wire brush back to bare alloy. Hammerite do a good non ferrous metal primer, follow with their smooth silver finish, both available in rattle cans. Looks like new when done properly.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Okay, thanks for that.Do I have to take the forks out of the bike? Or is it all removable from the bottom up i.e. remove wheel, remove front mudguard, paint the bottoms and triple mount in situ?Or had the triple mount got to come off?Basically, I'm keen to do it, but my mechanical skills don't match my enthusiasm.Thanks

Dave Morris
    Participant

Honda used do a nice aliminuim colour in spray paint, unsure if still do. go see ya local honda dealer or ya local street kids may have sime spare from a bit of bombing or sniffing

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Fork lower castings wouldn't be too bad to do in situ, but the lower triple would be better if removed, otherwise you cant get a sealed edge to the paint adjacent to the fork leg, it'll then only be a matter of time before the moisture gets under the paint and it starts lifting. It's really not a big job to pull the fork legs and lower triple off….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.