Home Forums General Discussion Facebook?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I noticed in the last Newsletter that a suggestion of using Facebook as a way of promoting the “OR” had been put forward. I thought it might be good to (constructively) throw this idea around and what better place to start than our website  🙂First off I would ask, is the "OR" in need of change? I am not a great believer in change for the sake of it. However the world is not a static place, new and (supposedly) better ways of doing things are flooding us faster than ever. If when the "OR" was first started a website on the internet had been suggested I am sure the vast majority of members would have had a fine old hissy fit about this pointless new fangled mumbo jumbo interweb dohickee  😮If we do want change, what change do we want? More members? More Area Reps? More funds in the coffer's are these our measure of success? I would suggest an increase in the numbers of BMW motorcycles ridden on the roads in New Zealand should be high on that list.An area of concern for me that I believe we can change is the lack of BMW backup available throughout NZ. Where are the dealers? Where are the service agents? I can buy a Harley in Waitara for goodness sakes! I hear the plea to support local and not use the internet. However when I can procure the same genuine BMW parts for less and with less waiting (7 weeks for throttle cables!) for the parts. I want to support local but this sort of situation needs rectifying. I (rightly or wrongly) believe that this is an area where the BMWOR can and should lobby on its members behalf. Rectifying this will in my humble opinion put more BMW's on NZ's roadsI have noted that a number of other groups I ride with are struggling to get numbers attending rides. I believe it is a reflection of our current economic climate. Less money for leisure (and lets face it for most of us a weekend ride is for leisure) coupled with people are working harder and longer (reducing leisure time). If this is correct then, can we change this? Probably not. So lets not dwell on it.So to sum up, I don't see Facebook as the cure for all, I don't however believe it will do any harm for the "OR" to have a Facebook presence. And at the end of the day if it doesn't work, what did it cost us  😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would think one big factor is the average age of a member of the OR. I suspecting it's only increasing?To attract the younger owners you'd need to be where they are... FB is one such place.

aegis4805
    Participant

for the short while I held the role of Area Coordinator (Wellington) in an attempt to attract a younger demographic i created a Facebook page – see link here https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWmotoswellingtonnz/You'll note I was careful to explain this in way purported to be the official FB page of BMWOR. That said, I'd be pleased to close this page or pass it for modification to the OR.Certainly, I'm of the view the OR has to adapt if it is to attract younger members. Another factor in addition to those identified by Colin above, in my view is that for many folks, membership of a club is unnecessary when they can link with like minded riders on sites such as adventure rider.com or kiwibikerPerhaps ironically - as age is catching up with me - I find myself more inclined to participate more actively in the register than attempting to keep up with the younger folks who use informal means like those I've mentioned in order to arrange 'rides'

Anonymous

for the short while I held the role of Area Coordinator (Wellington) in an attempt to attract a younger demographic i created a Facebook page - see link here https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWmotoswellingtonnz/

There is the precise reason why I will remain a dinosaur and look down my long nose at anything Facebook. To view Aslan's page, first I have to get a Facebook login. Once you do that, and then decide you don't want anything to do with Facebook, it is a major s**tfight to make your Facebook identity disappear. Don't look anywhere on Facebook to find out how to do it, 'cos they are not going to tell you!(And yes, so it is with Google, but that provides various things I do want to preserve access to, as I found when I tried to blow away parts of my Google presence a while ago.)Why wouldn't I want to be on Facebook? Well, I'm old. And grumpy......  >:(

aegis4805
    Participant

simply to say – I respect Bwucie's viewpoint above – and his and other volunteer office bearers of the OR's efforts to ensure an interesting and stimulating Club. Arne has been attempting to stimulate interest at this site, and I salute his effortsMany younger riders - read sub late 60 year olds - don't see a need to belong to a Club. Many preferring instead to ride alone or link up with like minded riders via other less formal means.It seems to me - we all - as human beings with choice - gather where there are things that interest us. For me - my default forum is Adventure Rider.com (apologies in advance for being such a one eyed 'adventure' rider). There's lots on there about Oilheads, airheads, water-cooled current incarnation boxers and all manner of F & G series - with some K series getting a mention as well

Anonymous

As I indicated in the Newsletter, I think a Facebook page (or whatever current “social” media is flavour of the month) is a timely idea for BMWOR. But there will be a few like me: tried it, don't like it, not gonna go there again. I'm hard-core old school, I even hate texts, and wish I could just buy a phone cellphone, not one of these modern rinky-dink toys we get stuck with now.But I miss my Palm - go figure.

peter.trub
    Participant

Awesome Facebook thingy  ;D Well done Stephen!Some interesting points put forward so far, I would question, is the average age of BMW owners in NZ actually increasing? I am sure that somewhere in the higher reaches of BMW Sales and Service NZ someone would be able to verify this.The reason I ask is if no "younger" people are buying BMW's then is there a value in a Facebook page? However, as I stated in my first post I see no harm in one either.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

If when the "OR" was first started a website on the internet had been suggested I am sure the vast majority of members would have had a fine old hissy fit about this pointless new fangled mumbo jumbo interweb dohickee  😮

Probably not Colin, they were all young then. The Register started because it was a way for like minded people to keep their expensive bikes on the road. People serviced their own bikes and some also carried out repairs. This has changed over the years. Now most new bikes are mostly serviced by dealerships, because often they can only be serviced there. Bikes have become very complex machines. A lot of younger people are in it for the ride. They don't care what you ride. In NZ we're a relatively small group of enthusiasts. It will never amount to more than it is at the moment. Also, young people don't care about committees, regulations and handbooks and I am not saying this to stir things up. Since I've moved to Marlborough I've been riding with a bunch of guys I've met through advrider. We sometimes meet for a meal and a beer and we go on rides together, very informal. I briefly thought about putting up my hand as area rep for Marlborough.  However, the reality is that I just can't be bothered putting up with all the other baggage. Ironically, a lot of the guys I ride with have been bitten by the airhead bug. But I can tell you now that they would rather go to church on Sunday than become a member of the BMWOR. We need to go back to the roots and keep things simple. Work on bikes, go on rides and occasionally grab a bite to eat, quite simple really. As it is, I can have all that without the BMWOR. I am still a member and at this stage I have no intention of changing that.

peter.trub
    Participant

Good to hear you have settled in well and are enjoying the mainland Alex. A lot of nice roads (and off roads) to play on down there.  🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.