Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk BMW R1100R Oil Change

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Kia ora.  I have a 99 BMW R1100R.  I wish to do my own engine oil changes.  A couple of questions:1. How often do I need to change the oil?2. What special tools do I need (to remove sump plug, oil filter), and where is the best place to buy them?3. Does anyone sell a 'kit' of tools, washer...Many thanks.Pat

Guy Freeman
    Participant

just done oil change on my r1100 and only tool i had to purchase was a 76mm oil filter removal tool  12 dollars from cycletreads and just used the lerge allen key in your toolkit i change my oil every 10.000k and filter every 20.000 hope this helps 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi.  Thanks for the info.  How do you know how tight to tighten the sump plug?  The manual suggests a torque wrench. Do you just do it by feel?  I do not want to over-tighten, or have it come out!Believe it or not, I am not a complete mechanical klutz.  It's just that I want to get this right!All the bestPat

Guy Freeman
    Participant

no didnt use torque wrench i did it up finger tight then just nipped it tight not to much pressure tho as they can strip threads but ive never had any trouble 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

If oil starts to come out, tighten it a little bit more  😀

phil1
    Participant

put some of the fresh oil in the new filter before installing – it helps get the oil pressure up a bit quicker.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.