Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Accessory plugs for the "new" K’s & R’s:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

John Deere accessory plugs for BMW accessory plugs Accessory plugs for the "new" K's & R's: the male plug is John Deere #RE11344 the female socket is JD #AL25073

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

Also available from Super Cheap Auto'sRegards boGSer

Anonymous

If by new you mean 99 – 2005 then the plug & socket is a standard automotive connector you can also buy from Jaycar for $5.50 for the plug & $8 for the socket also RS stock them

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Pardon my stupid question. Are you guys talking about the standard cigarette lighter sized socket found on cars or the BMW sized accessory plug? I'am just getting a power cable for my Garmin etrex and it has a car plug on it. I suppose the easiest would be to install a car socket as well. I am also looking into powering my Uniden walkie talkie from the bike. It's only the 2watt version, so I'll have to McGuiver a connection to it. However, I'll also need to reduce 12V to about 5V, so the thing doesn't blow. Unfortunately the Garmin only needs 3Volts, otherwise I could have powered it of the same source.Any suggestions are welcome, but no, I don't need the 5watt Uniden.

Anonymous

No it is a smaller connector which is used by lots of european automotive manufacturers for up to 10 amps- Suggest you have a look at it as they are more reliable and smaller than the cigarette type

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks for that info, I'll go and check them out.

Anonymous

P.S. it is the standard type  as used on BMW bikes ie like my R1100S 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alex, this might help you McGuiver a connection to your R/T:  [url=http://McGuiver]McGuiver[/url]  I know it's standard cigarette size, but maybe you could hack it or adapt it.The technical name for those power connectors is "DIN ISO 4165 plug", but it's not very sexy.Jaycar call them "Merit Plugs" (I don't know where that came from)product_8948.jpg  product_8950.jpghttp://www.jaycar.co.nzAlso called a "Hella Plug" here are their part numbers:http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=265But if you REALLY want to see how far you can go, check out Powerlet Products.  Looking at their stuff, you could probably power a Who concert out of your tank bag!http://www.powerletproducts.com/DTY

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks for the link Dave. I've just had enough of charging up batteries and then finding them go flat at the most inconvenient moment. Those Powerlet products look really good. Electronics is a bit of a mystery to me, but I have managed to find a charging cable for the GPS that takes the voltage down to 3V. Unfortunately, it runs off a car accessory plug. I think the bits that reduce the voltage are inside the plug, so it's not just chop and change.The two-way radio is for taking commands and the GPS will help me to answer important questions, such as "Are we there yet?"

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops.  That McGuiver link up there was supposed to be this, with the 5v lead:http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MP3046

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Alex, It's not difficult to pull the voltage dropping bits out of the car type plug, then put them in the feed line to the smaller bmw socket, with a bit of heat shrink over them, then you have a socket with 3v or whatever. I did it to power my Garmin on the GS, worked a treat. Happy to make something up for you……

Anonymous

ISO 4165 is the actual connector type: Merit, Hella and Jaeger are just brand names but do not describe the actual plug Jaeger do a waterproof capped version for those of you who are real serious Other types are typically only IP 44 rated splash proof

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Alex, It's not difficult to pull the voltage dropping bits out of the car type plug, then put them in the feed line to the smaller bmw socket, with a bit of heat shrink over them, then you have a socket with 3v or whatever. I did it to power my Garmin on the GS, worked a treat. Happy to make something up for you......

Thanks Tony. I'll wait and see what the Garmin cable is like. I may even install a car size plug to give me more options. Hooking up those radios will be more of mission, because they have no external power input. I'll have to rig something up for the battery compartment.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Got it all sorted. Now the GPS and the two-way radio can be powered off the bike, at the same time. I had to modify the radio as it didn't have an external power input. All the ugly big plugs fit into the little pouch I have on the handle bars. Now I have to remember to unplug the system end the end of the ride, as there are a couple of diodes that are still powered with the GPS and radio switched off. I am pretty sure they wouldn't be able to drain the battery over night. I can still use the two-way rdio with batteries, if needed.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Got it all sorted. Now the GPS and the two-way radio can be powered off the bike, at the same time. I had to modify the radio as it didn't have an external power input. All the ugly big plugs fit into the little pouch I have on the handle bars. Now I have to remember to unplug the system end the end of the ride, as there are a couple of diodes that are still powered with the GPS and radio switched off. I am pretty sure they wouldn't be able to drain the battery over night. I can still use the two-way rdio with batteries, if needed.

what little pouch u have on the handlebars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.