Home Forums General Discussion A San Franciscan in New Zealand.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

My name is Jon Bauer. I live in San Francisco, am an avid motorcyclist of about 20 years. I'm planning to visit New Zealand in February of 2006. The dates I'm carving out are Feb 25th through March 3rd.

I'm planning to explore the North Island mostly. Am looking into securing a rental now. Have a few questions:

1) Is the cheapest and/or best option for renting a bike going to a place like KEA Motorcycles? (other recommendations are appreciated!)
    2) Would anyone care to join me and show me "the ropes" - I promise that I would gladly reciprocate in the San Francisco Bay area if you'd like to visit!
    3) Am I missing some of the best motorcycling roads if I don't go to the South Island?

Thanks in advance all!

- Jon

Jim Young
    Participant

Hi Jon and welcome to the BMWOR website.

Where are you flying into Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch ?

I am sure that if you give us your details closer to the arrival time we can organise someone to meet you, and as its a weekend you arrive we will be riding and can show you some good roads.
    7 days isnt very long to tour NZ and yes the South Island is great for riding but so is the North Island so the choice is yours, as much depends on where you fly into.

Afraid I cant help much on the bike hire scene apart from Kea Rentals but perhaps some others can.

Look forward to meeting you if you are in Auckland.

Regards

Jim

Anonymous

Thanks for the note Jim! I’m actually flying into Auckland a week earlier (February 17th). Some friends and I invented a new sport here in Silicon Valley (see http://www.bayareaseg.com/Polo.htm) – yes we are a buncha geeks. We have been challenged by the NZ team and are gonna have a tournament. Should be fun.

I'd love to meet up with you and anyone else that would like to get together! I'll keep posting as it gets closer to the trip.

Thanks in advance for your hospitality!

- Jon

Jim Young
    Participant

Not a problem, look forward to meeting you.

As a matter of interest, if you like motorcycle racing, Paeroa, a small town about 150km from Auckland has the "Battle of the Streets" races on Sunday the 19th Feb, very exciting, all classes of bikes including sidecars racing through the main streets of a small town.
    Not to be missed.

Jim

Anonymous
    Youngjim wrote:
    As a matter of interest, if you like motorcycle racing, Paeroa, a small town about 150km from Auckland has the “Battle of the Streets” races on Sunday the 19th Feb, very exciting, all classes of bikes including sidecars racing through the main streets of a small town.
    Not to be missed.

Sounds fantastic! I definitely want to go to that.

- Jon
    Anonymous

Kea Motorcycle Hire is who I would recommend. There bikes are well looked after and are no more than 2 years old.

http://www.kea-motorcycles.com/

I was in San Francisco Bay on Holiday last Aug. The place does get cold when the fog comes.

Anonymous
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:
    Kea Motorcycle Hire is who I would recommend. There bikes are well looked after and are no more than 2 years old.

http://www.kea-motorcycles.com/

I was in San Francisco Bay on Holiday last Aug. The place does get cold when the fog comes.

Ok, I'm trying to find out what bikes Kea has available now.

Yep, SF does get cold... I'm sure you've heard what Mark Twain said... "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco..." (http://www.twainquotes.com/SanFrancisco.html)

I'm not sure that it's THAT cold, but yeah, when the fog rolls in, it's chilly.

- Jon
    Anonymous

Hi All, Me again. Ok, I found a place that has a Bandit 600 for rent for a much more reasonable price. I still want to meet up though… If I’m not on a Bimmer, can we still be friends? 😀

- Jon

Jim Young
    Participant

Not a problem Jon, we have guys on other bikes too, the common bond is two wheels and a love of riding. 🙂

Dave Ross
    Keymaster
    jbauer wrote:
    Hi All, Me again. Ok, I found a place that has a Bandit 600 for rent for a much more reasonable price. I still want to meet up though… If I’m not on a Bimmer, can we still be friends? 😀

- Jon

We're all BMW snobs here , but we'll make an exception for you. 😆
    Don't tell anyone though, we've got a public perception to uphold. 😉

Looking forward to meeting you, hope you'll enjoy your stay.
    Anonymous
    Youngjim wrote:
    Not a problem Jon, we have guys on other bikes too, the common bond is two wheels and a love of riding. 🙂

This may be OK down south where you look north and wish if only, but up here where it is warm and a new ride most weekends.
    There may be a fine Jon will have to pay 😆
    Anonymous
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:
    Youngjim wrote:

How about - I'll buy a round of beer... 🙂

- Jon
    Jim Young
    Participant

Sounds good to me !!!!

Anonymous
    jbauer wrote:
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:
    Youngjim wrote:

How about - I'll buy a round of beer... 🙂

- Jon

Will look foreward to it.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.