Home Forums General Discussion 2006 Honda Gold Wing Gets Industry-First Airbag

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

090905side.jpg

Although Honda has made several changes to the 2006 Gold Wing tourer, our focus is on the industry's first airbag system.

According to Honda, this system "can help lessen the severity of injuries caused by frontal collisions". This will be an option on Gold Wings released in late Spring of 2006 in the United States.

090905top.jpg

Honda has tremendous experience using airbags in automobiles, of course, and this undoubtedly helped Honda develop the Gold Wing system. Does this point to airbags on a significant number of future motorcycles? We suspect airbags will work their way first into the heavyweight touring category, where the added weight of the airbag system will not significantly impact the overall weight of the machine. Undoubtedly, some of Honda's competitors in the heavyweight touring category will respond with similar systems in the future.

Anonymous

I had one on the K100LT for years, then I bought her her own machine

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I suppose it won’t do much good in a high side or low side. But If you T-bone a car, because the residual braking didn’t slow you down enough it could come in handy.

Anonymous

I had a cobber nearly lost his snory organ to the top of the windscreen on an R80 – woulda helped him. He would be the first to say that watching the car in front woulda helped, too.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

What an unfortunate choice of colour and shape, what were they thinking.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

What an unfortunate choice of colour and shape, what were they thinking.

Anonymous
    Bwucie wrote:
    I had one on the K100LT for years, then I bought her her own machine

My extra air bag seems also comes with a handbrake as well 😉
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.