Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk ’05 R1200RT clutch replacement

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

How to improve your bike:- get a problem diagnosed- hand over a big wad of 'Arry Nash to your local bike shop for a rather small box of BMW parts- entrust your Pride'n'Joy to trusted mechanic- have said trusted mechanic bifurcate your P'n'J- wait a day- pick up your P'n'J- look at box of removed parts- get told 'that's the thinnest worn clutch I've ever seen' by Robert the Trusty BMW fixit bloke.Te result?MUCH GRINNING!  One times R12RT super smooth and the slightly agricultural clunk into first gear is gone..Pics to follow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pics from a box of clutch up soon…

Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of pics of an R1200RT clutch a little bit worn…

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Ask the Popos about worn ouit clutches. We do them about every 50000km. Our riding style (slipping clutch, training rear brakes) means that the consumables (of which the clutch is one) are hammered far more than private bikes.It's the nature of our job, and how we use the bikes.I was surprised at the price you were quited though. We paid about $1450 including parts and labout for our last one.On the up side, I hear the new water cooled engine is far easier to replace the clutch on. Happy days.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Ask the Popos about worn ouit clutches. We do them about every 50000km. Our riding style (slipping clutch, training rear brakes) means that the consumables (of which the clutch is one) are hammered far more than private bikes.It's the nature of our job, and how we use the bikes.I was surprised at the price you were quited though. We paid about $1450 including parts and labout for our last one.On the up side, I hear the new water cooled engine is far easier to replace the clutch on. Happy days.

you guys need to tidy up ya riding. never happened in my day. why did that other bike go pooof

Russell Taylor
    Participant

you guys need to tidy up ya riding. never happened in my day. why did that other bike go pooofCable leading from the positive terminal of the battery rubbed against a frame cross member for long enough to wear away the insulation. Rider pressed the go button, arcing happened under the seat, et voila, one BBQ'd RT-P.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was surprised at the price you were quoted though. We paid about $1450 including parts and labout for our last one.

My price included bartering 15% off the parts too!  Maybe it's just me being flash and asking for those diamond-studded clutch plates - must learn to limit my farkle-enthusiasm...

Anonymous
    Inactive

My price included bartering 15% off the parts too!  Maybe it's just me being flash and asking for those diamond-studded clutch plates - must learn to limit my farkle-enthusiasm...

I remember reading somewhere about ceramic clutches, more expensive, but also much stronger. Can't remember if there was a downside however, something about shifting the weak point somewhere else... usually means more expensive again  ::)

Anonymous
    Inactive

This isn't ceramic, but maybe something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/clutch-gearboxes/auction-647825370.htmThe "take any abuse while not burning out" is interesting  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

This isn't ceramic, but maybe something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/clutch-gearboxes/auction-647825370.htmThe "take any abuse while not burning out" is interesting  ;D

That'd be an interesting one to test (on someone else's bike!).  Perhaps Daffy should get one of these installed in the work bike and thrash it to destruction?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.